The Toasters. Bucket. Part 1
Autor: Richard Constantinidi
Etichete: 2-tone, Bucket, Moon Records, Not Bob Marley, Ska Punk, The Fordbidden Planet, The Jetsons, The Toasters, Tom And Jerry
Here’s a rundown on the third wave of Ska band’s first 2 decades of music.
- 1981 The Toasters start out as Not Bob Marley
- 1982 The Toasters first gig at CBGB’s earned them $22.
- 1985 First nationally distributed US ska record, Moon Records releases The Toasters’ “Recriminations” EP (produced by Joe Jackson)
- 1988 Thrill Me Up released. The Toasters embark on their first European tour.
- 1990 This Gun for Hire is released. The Toasters and are first foreign ska band to play behind the Iron Curtain in Russia
- 1991 Miller Beer endorses The Toasters. They play 232 shows this year.
- 1995 Dub 56 is the first Moon release to sell 30,000+ copies in the US.
- 1996 The Toasters play show #2,000 in Atlanta, GA.
- 1997 Hard Band for Dead sells 60,000 + worldwide.
- Buck writes Coca-Cola jingle for national radio ad.
- Toasters break into MTV with 2Tone Army music video.
- 1998 Don’t Let The Bastards Grind You Down is released.
- The Toasters tour Europe for the 14th time and are the first foreign ska band to play in Brazil.
In the first part of the Interview, we asked Bucket about
- The Toasters beginning
- Moving to New York
The Toasters will be touring Eastern Europe in May 2010. Check out the list at the end of the Interview.
RiCo for CZB: What was the original line-up of the band in 1981?
- Bucket (Robert Hingley)
- Steve Laforge
- Vicky Rose
- Gary Eye
- Jackson Plugz
CZB: Have you stayed in touch with these former band members? Do you know where they are?
Bucket: Two of them are dead (Steve Laforge, Jackson Plugz). Vicky Rose has a roadhouse in Upstate/New York, Gary Eye is still in Manhattan.
CZB: What were you thinking when you started out? Did you think you would be in this for good?
Bucket: No, I had no idea. If you had suggested that I’d still be palying in the band after thiry years I would have thought you were insane. Originally, it was just for laughs – but it turned into the monster FRANKEN-SKA!
CZB: Did you believe that your first line-up would be in this for good as well?
What have you learned about line-up changes during all these years that you could give advice to younger bands about?
Bucket: No, I didn’t think some of them were ready to devote 200% to the project. The first line up was some talented people for sure. As the years have gone by, we have had no shortage of top notch players, both in the band and as special guests.
Not everybody can commit all the time necessary to have the band function 200 gigs a year on the road. It’s difficult.
CZB: Did the band form in 1981 or 1982? I found both dates mentioned on the net.
Bucket: 1981 was the formation. The first Demo was in 1982.
CZB: When did you move Stateside and Why?
Bucket: In 1980. I was working for The Fordbidden Planet which was a chain of comic book/science fiction stores in the UK. They had opened a shop in NYC and needed somebody to go there to train staff. Originally, it was supposed to be for only 6 months but look what happened.
CZB: What was the address of the comic book store?
Bucket: The Fordbidden Planet was on Broadway and 12th Street in Manhattan.
CZB: What was your favorite prime time sit-com cartoon and why?
Bucket: I don’t really watch TV. I liked the old Fred Quimby Tom and Jerry and The Jetsons.
CZB: What is your favorite animated movie and why?
Bucket: Really old Disney stuff, like Sleeping Beauty, which is pretty dark stuff.
The Eastern Europe Leg of the 2010 Tour
- Tues 4 May Bosnia Sarajevo Fiskultura
- Wed 5 May Macedonia Skopje Tbd
- Thur 6 May Greece Athens an Club
- Fri 7 May Greece Thessalonika Tbd
- Sat 8 May Turkey Istambul Isc
- Sun 9 May Bulgaria Sofia Tba
- Mon 10 May Romania Bucharest Control
Tues 11 May Romania Cluj Music Pub
- Wed 12 May Romania Timisoara Set up
- Thur 13 May Osijek Open Air
- Fri 14 May Slovenia Ljubljana Gala Hala
Publicat in: 01.03.2017, Ora: 06:53AM
Publicat in: 22.02.2017, Ora: 06:27AM
Publicat in: 15.02.2017, Ora: 13:59PM
Publicat in: 14.08.2016, Ora: 12:20PM
Publicat in: 07.07.2016, Ora: 06:52AM
Publicat in: 31.12.2012, Ora: 06:27AM